Friday, April 16, 2010

Meet:: Tony





One day this week, as I was typing up a paper for history, Tommy came jumping in the door shouting, "look what I found in the forest!!!" He quickly set "Tony the trouble-maker turtle" gently down on the carpet. Usually, we are not indoor animal people, but before we could say a word, the turtle poked out of his shell and began exploring the room. :) It was actually adorable.
Someone said, "He acts just like a kitten!" and I would have to agree. I have never seen anything like it before. :)

This year, Tommy, Livy & Rosy have been studing sea life including turtles. They were thrilled to be able to explain to me that it is a complete myth turtles can seperate themselves from their shells, what the differences between sea & land turtles are, and other wonderful turtle facts! It was so fun ~
We pulled out our "turtle" book and discovered that Tony was a box turtle who eats worms, flys, flowers, and leaves. So, Tommy went out & got him some food. Strangly, he did not seem hungry. :) We decided to put a "T" on his back with red fingernail polish so we would know if we saw him again.
"Mom, I have always wanted a pet turtle and this one just seems perfect!" Tommy was begging to keep him. :) We made him a little home, but he seemed to like exploring our school room more... :)










Eventually, Tommy and Rosy carried him back out to the "forest" (:D) and set him down. They decided that it was not fair to Tony to make him stay inside because he might have family that he was separated from and bugs were not so fun to catch after all, so he would have to return to his home in the woods.


Tony hung around where they were playing for about 2 hours, and then suddenly he was gone.


That night, Tommy told me "If Tony comes back, we'll know that he really loves us!" We also talked about a turtle taming and training business Tommy wants to start. He plans to find all kinds of turtles, train them and then sell them to everyone who has always wanted a turtle! ;D


...and then guess what. :) Tony came for a visit today! I was actually gone, but I heard he did not stay too long, but they know it was him because he had the nail polish "T" on his shell! :)


Thus is our lastest turtle experience (to read about last year's click here) ~ it has definitely been a very neat one. I am amazed at the beauty of even a small box turtle...just take a look at his eyes, skin & shell - and tell me it was not perfectly & beautifully created!!

"All nations whom Thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify Thy name! For Thou art great, and doest wonderous things; Thou art God alone! Teach me Thy way, O Lord; I will walk in Thy truth: unite my heart to fear Thy Name." --Psalms 86: 9 - 11

Have a beautiful weekend!!

~nikki :)

5 comments:

Kaitlyn said...

Hey Elise,
Haha, Tony sould fun...and funny! Cool post and pictures!!
Love,
Katie

Sandra said...

Ahh, I knew that was a box turtle as when we lived in TN we strangly had a turtle come up to our neighbors house and walk across the driveway!!! Hence I did my research and found out it was a box turtle and we made a little home for it, but by the morning it was gone...had escaped:)...good for it!!

Renae said...

OH! so that's tony! he's so cute! it would be so cool to have him as a pet! (if i had one!)

Anonymous said...

O My Goodness. How adorable. You take wonderful pictures. We have a ton of turtles over here. But, they are mostly snapping turtles. Who knows. Maybe your brother realy will catch and raise up some turtles. Have a blessed day!

Jay said...

Neat! I like Tony the turtle! :) Turtles are awesome creatures, aren't they?

Jay