Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Magdalena, Mexico.




For months, I have wanted to write this post. Days have turned into months, and still, I just do not want to let this post go unwritten! :)
 ----
In late July, my brother, sister & I (the three oldest) were blessed to travel to CVE orphanage in Magdalena, Mexico!! (http://www.cvemx.org/) 

It was very touching to see the ministry there. With eyes of radiant love, the missionaries shared. The tears from their eyes do not seem to be for all the pain that they have seen in the lives of the children who live on the campus (more than I have dreamed of...).  Their tears are of gratitude for all the ways that they have seen the Love of God working there!

And I wonder; how can I followed their example of dependence upon God? Instead of setting my eyes on the impossibility, the failure, the pain, to set my eyes on the Healer, the Counselor, the Maker of my heart?  Oh, to wonder in what ways eyes would be so opened to the depth of God's love, to weep in awe & gratitude. 


 (Photo credit - Brad Eisenmann) Our work team! Most where highschool/college ages with some wonderful parents along!)

A beautiful sunset the first night, setting over the church & school there on the orphanage campus ~

The children were so sweet!! We had fun trying to learn alittle Spanish. The children knew quite a lot of English, so I am sure that they got a kick out of us trying to communicate! :)

Looking back into my journal notes from that week ~

"Words shared by a missionary at dinner, 'Just because you are not at a certain goal/point in your life, do not think God is wasting these years. God will not waste anytime if you allow Him to do His Will. He is always teaching, always preparing.' " 


 "Tonight, we gathered at the Church - I have heard it called 'The House of Prayer'. Tonight, that name became personal, beautiful. Song of mixed English & Spanish - praise song favorites!.... After singing, Bill shared some scripture - the reference was in Spanish, but it was the account of Jesus healing a demon-possessed boy and the disciples asked, 'Why could we not do that?' And Jesus answered that they could if they believed - even just a mustard seed grain of faith. And it hit me - do I truly believe and want to be (completely) free (in Christ)...?"

 "God heals our wounds, but He leaves our scars, so we may share with others what He has done!"

---
The dorms on the CVE orphanage campus that the work teams slept in ~

Many of us girls did simple painting work while the others did mason work, concrete work & etc!


Sweet girls on our work team!! The fellowship was priceless!! :)

 One day, a man came to trim the palm trees at CVE. We had so much fun finding creative uses for the beautiful palm branches! 


 Flowers made from the palm branches ~


(Photo credit - Brad Eisenmann) One morning after breakfast & before work, the young men "fanned" us girls - much to our delight!! :) 




My handsome brother, on kitchen duty.

One evening, we went into town & visited "Cafe Sed." My sister & I were so excited to visit this Mexican bookstore/coffee shop that we had previously heard & joyfully read about through blogs! :) It was even neater than we imagined ~ it is so evident in that place that nothing is impossible when you are dependent upon God & seeking to let the pure love of Christ rule your life!



---
On last morning in Mexico, we woke early & hiked a nearby mountain as the sun rose through the clouds!


(With my sweet sister atop of the mountain!)






All the "girl's dorm" girls saying good-bye our last night before we flew home the next morning!

A neat story ~ the 4th girl on the right was such a blessing to meet! My parents had met her parents last fall (through church) in the western side of the United States!  This spring, she thoughtfully wrote to me & invite me to come for a girl's weekend! I was so touched by her love - she did not even know me! It did not work out for me to go, I was disappointed that I would not be able to meet her. A few weeks before our Mexico trip, we realized that we were both signed up to go to the very same mission trip to Magdalena!! It was so neat to meet in the Arizona airport & spend a week together at CVE! God's love is so breathtaking, that He allows & loves for us to have such sweet friendships!



On the plane ride home.

Looking down on the beautiful desert of Arizona! I had never seen a dry desert like that before - I loved it! It was so different, so refreshing to see something that I had never seen before!



" And He said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while..." (Mark 6:31) 

At the beginning of our trip, one of the men shared this verse & the question; What have you come here to rest from? 

As I look back to that time, I remember what an uplifting & encouraging time it was! One verse that I just kept reading that week & that I felt the Spirit of the Lord pressing on my heart was Ephesians 1:3-6 ~

 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved."

Oh, I hear the invitation from God, to come & lay down my heart before Him every day anew, to be reliant on His Blood to wash me clean each morning, & allow Him to fill me with the life He longs for me to live - holy & without blame before Him in love. It is so easy for me to be distracted, instead of coming before Him, to press on in the journey, the abundant life of authentic love, joy & peace. The abundant life of Knowing God! 

He is so faithful to still want me! 
~~~