Coming home to America was like entering another world. It is unreal.
There are so many experiences I could share in which God worked in my heart... ~
----
The day after arriving home from Jamaica, our church went together to sing at a nearby nursing home. As a church, we like to go about once a month, and just sing some of those old hymns the old folks all love and remember. Afterwards, we usually visit with the residents for a little while. We have been doing this for several years, so while I'm not a huge nursing home person, I have gotten used to being around older individuals...
Our family has gotten to know a few of them especially who we enjoy praying for and checking up on every month.
Nursing homes have always kind of been my "place-to-go-to-be-thankful-that-I-can-come-home" reminders. I am not one of those people that can't wait to be in a nursing home - I have told my family never to put me in one. :)
It never occurred to me once how blessed the people in American nursing homes are.
---*
Two Sundays ago (while in Jamaica), I was experiencing the most spirit-filled worship service I have attended in a great while. We were in a Jamaican Deaf Church (located in the deaf village).
There really is not a way to describe it. Everyone was praising God with their hands & hearts! It was unlike a lot of American church services where only people's mouths are moving and their minds are wandering to who knows where... You see, the deaf have to follow the song leader (who has enough hearing to follow the music) to know what song they were singing. There wasn't a song number given & everyone follows along on their own - there was one leader. They all follow him.
The deaf pastor had a sermon on "Wives Submitting to Their Husbands" after the worship section. We had a translator, but how I wish I knew more sign language & could have understood it all without one! Also unlike church services in America, the deaf interact with the pastor during the service. Because it is silent, it doesn't cause the disruption talking would have.
Everyone was involved - some agreeing & some not. :)
Afterwards, I was feeling SO excited to be in Jamaica! My heart was about to overflow with God's goodness in allowing me to be experiencing these awesome things...
Then, I was told we were going to a nursing home. Like many other times last week, I had no idea what to expect. I guess I didn't think it would that different than a nursing home in the U.S.
In Jamaica, nursing homes are called "Infirmaries." We went to the Manchester Infirmary. (Just for clarification - no one was deaf at this infirmary.) Much like we do at nursing homes in America, we passed out song books. We then split into 2 groups and walked toward 2 different buildings.
Outside of these buildings, some of the residents sat.
I'm sure I just stared. They had no shoes.
The buildings reminded me of one of those old abandoned warehouses you see in the run-down sections of big cites.
We started singing songs like "What a Friend" and "Blessed Assurance." Some chimed right in.


We then proceeded to enter the buildings...
Beds were lined along the walls. No curtains separating the beds or anything. The beds were far enough apart to sneak a small square (foot by foot) bedside table between them. That's it.
I had a horrible cold that day & couldn't smell out of my nose, but everyone told me afterwards the smell was almost unbearable.
I have never felt more spoiled (other than visiting the orphanage) in my life.
We sang for probably 20 minutes and then the missionary encouraged us to visit with the residents.
I approached a lady and picked up her hand. We smiled at each other. Suddenly, this unexpected love flowed over me. I don't know how to describe it....but it was totally Jesus.
I asked her a few questions, but she didn't answer. She just kept smiling at me. I'm not sure if she could talk, or was choosing not to, but I sat down on her bed next to her. Suddenly, I realized she was holding my hand.
She ran her fingers over mine and then up my arm. It occurred to me she just wanted a friend. For probably 10 minutes, I just sat next too her. Someone on our team walked by and snapped a picture of us.

When all the members of our team started leaving the room, I turned toward her and told her that I had to leave. I'm not sure if she understood me or not, but she squeezed my hand tighter. I reached over and ran my fingers over her back and then hugged her shoulders. Then I stood up.
She lightly began to let go of my hand. This was another time in my life where I wanted to bring someone home with me.
She looked so young. I have thought about her so much since I've come home - prayed that she knows Jesus & that we'll see each other in heaven someday (if not before! :D)
As I walked away from her bed we smiled at each other one more time before I went on to meet some other old folks.
One asked me to read the Bible Verse above her bed. It was about the might of God. After I finished reading it, she looked at me and said, "That is my verse!"
Another shared with me about the lady who had stayed in the bed next to hers (She had died just shortly before) "She could finish any Psalm from the Bible you started for her!"
Later, my Dad shared with me that he had talked to a man who was rejoicing and saying, "I am SOO blessed - look at this bed I have! Look at these nice friends around me! The food is good here too! God is taking good care of me!"

I should be ashamed to ever complain about anything again.
When we entered that nursing home the day after returning from Jamaica, I looked at it differently. It didn't seem quite so bad anymore - maybe it wouldn't be SO bad to live in one someday. (After I return from a lifelong ministry in Jamaica that is. :D)
There are so many other experiences like this one that took place in less than an hour, but opened my eyes to the way some of God's children live.
----
May God be praised.
4 comments:
Your birthday is this month??? I didn't know that. What day is yours? Mine is the 31st.
Hope you guys can come Friday!!!
Love,
Sarah
P.S. It sounds like you guys had a really neat time in Jamaica and had a lot of new experiences. You are such a sweet friend, and I enjoy reading about the ways you are opening your eyes and heart.
Oh. HAPPY BIRTHDAY a day early!!!!!!!!! Are you my age or are you a year older? Jo thinks you are my age, but I'm pretty sure you're a year older. :) Anyway, hope you have a wonderful day!
Love,
Sarah
I hope the extra special, extra sweet birthday girl is having an extra special, extra sweet day!
Love you!
Hugs,
Frisbee Girl
I know I'm late in posting, but this post was SO touching...I was close to tears!
Thank you for sharing your experience in Jamaica, my friend!
In Christ,
Mia
Post a Comment