Tuesday, January 31, 2012

School of joy ~

The melodies carry my heart into inspiration ~

Algebra problems suddenly become masterpieces of beautiful design. The shadow upon the textbook page's upper corner strikes me with its beauty.

The blanket across my knees welcomes me to sit and study. And then the warm instant apple cider warms my throat. And my fingers as they cup around the aroma!

And the thought comes me; what if I actually grew to enjoy the time I spend studying?

I wonder ~ what if my time & attitude in schoolwork became an aroma of praise my heart offers my Savior each day? What if I considered it my opportunity to count it all joy?

And so, now, as I study this evening, I will rejoice in the beauty of the melodies playing on the laptop. Music...to usher me to remember my unworthiness before His beauty!

The light of the lamp shines so much more beauitfully in the evening than in the afternoon! So, while my heart longs to place these school books back upon the selves, I flip the lamp light on & rejoice in how it glows. It almost makes this room seem all new!

And instead of check-marks on my to-do list, I will make humble little flowers. :) I will delight in gathering a page full of flowers ~ as unperfect as they may be.

I do think I am not only in the school of Algebra, Chemistry & english. I am in the school of learning what joy is! And this joy is due to His Name all of my days ~
Throughout my life, I may never again need to know how to graph a circle. And understanding the chemical process of electrolysis of water will probably not be necessary everyday. Yet, joy will always be needed and necessary ~
So, today is my day to grow in joy! And learn the graphs & process of joy.
I remember a book, "The Shadow of the Almighty" written about the missionary Jim Elliot. One thing which has often returned to my thoughts since reading that book, is how Jim Elliot considered his college & schooling years to be training. In his heart, he cultivated an attitude which he knew would be necessary while serving the Lord for the rest of his life.



My sweet sister; her face is one of joy.

So, so much beauty. So many opportunities to rejoice in what He was given!! To count my days all joy. To give thanks unto His Holy Name!


with joy ~ nikki

No comments: