Thursday, October 13, 2016

a visit to michigan.

Some of us kids were able to fly up to Michigan to visit Drew this past week. It was such a rich time - full of rediscovering and reveling in these relationships we have as siblings.

We started off the weekend by a trip to Tim Horton's, which is a coffee shop that originated in Canada. While I was in Brazil, one of the missionaries who was originally from Canada RAVED about this place and had mission teams bring him Tim Horton's coffee in Brazil, so we figured we should try it. 

We stopped at our favorite coffee shop, Harless & Hugh, in Bay City one afternoon. I am a firm believer that the best conversations usually happen with a cup of coffee in hand. 
At one point during this conversation, Drew said to me: "Sheree, I don't think you realize that there are few things I could discover about you at this point that would surprise me." We both smiled and my heart felt exactly as it should when you are with someone who knows you well. Known and accepted - this is the beauty of family.

Drew's apartment kitchen was so fun to cook in! We love the character that his apartment has.
We spent one afternoon in Tawas, a city about an hour north of Bay City. We walked some trails where a lighthouse was and where a lumber man's monument was.



I am so thankful for how our relationships have developed over the years. The bond of siblings is so deep - I was reminded by how refreshing it is to be so deeply understood by someone, to share so many parts of who you are, but to have such blatant and celebrated differences at the same time. Family is a beautiful concept. Distance from both Drew and Elise has definitely added new dimensions to these relationships, but I was reminded once again by this trip that sibling bonds are some of the deepest. Physical distance and life transitions, though they are real and definite, can not touch the underlying connection we have because we are family.

How unspeakably comforting to be known so well.