Fierce, beautiful, unwavering strength of spirit. I hope she always stays this way.
But right alongside these things, I have seen something unexpected find its place. Some sign of God's work in her 11 year old heart.
Tenderness. Coming out softly, quietly, almost unnoticed.
Over the past two months especially, there have been several times when I have been struck by the growth that has taken place in her soul. I see little reminders of what I was like at 11 - starting to feel the first awkward twinges of transition from girlhood to womanhood. Beginning to question that decision that you'd made to be a tomboy. I saw this especially when Ashlyn and I were going to do a photo shoot to try out our new camera a few weeks ago. Liona came upstairs to our bathroom where we were getting ready and watched for a while. I could see her trying to find the words to ask if she could join us and I am embarrassed to say that I was annoyed at first. She finally asked if she could do it with us and before I opened my mouth to say "no," I paused.
And I saw her seeking eyes, wondering if she was big enough. And I remembered being 11.
So I took her hair out of her braids. (I am so jealous of her texture and thickness!) Her green eyes lit up with delight as I pulled out my makeup. I put a little bit of blush on her cheeks, noticing how soft and freckled they are. I put a little bit of sparkle eyeshadow on her eyelids and noticed how thick her eyelashes are. And I was ashamed that I do not take the time to just marvel at this little human that I call "sister" more often.
And as we went out to the woods to snap some pictures, I found myself with a tear in my eye as I pressed the review button. There it was again - that little trace of a tender heart found in the gaze of her soft green eye. Hallelujah - He answers prayer.
We love you, Nona. You are becoming a lovely young woman and we can only smile wonderingly at how far you have come. I don't think you will ever know how much you've changed our lives - and I thank you for that.
