Sunday, May 13, 2012
A day for my Mother.
The morning was early & the sky was dark. I was just beginning to stir and prepare for a day out of the home & volunteering as a family at a book sale. For a moment, I paused all my getting read to listen; from down below in our kitchen I heard the refrigerator open and the knife cutting. Sounds of her preparing & getting ready. As I did my hair & gathered my things, my dear mother was already in the kitchen; packing lunches, gathering lists of books, & setting things in order for the weekend. The 31st Proverb, verse 15 - real & alive & serving me.
That afternoon, as I took a break from helping at the book sale check-out line to eat the lunch she had packed in those early hours - how thankful I was for those early moments my mom had spent preparing for my comfort, my lunch, the little details I would have forgotten.
I am so thankful for a mother who prepares, plans, worries about the details (maybe alittle too much sometimes!) and gives away sleep & comfort to serve & prepare.
----
Over the final Chemistry chapter of this green textbook, I study. Suddenly, I realize she is on the phone. My studying is interrupted as I listen to her voice. I hear my mother say it would be a pleasure & that she doesn't mind. She says goodbye, then she pulls out of the driveway in our tan van; going out of her way & interrupting her day to encourage a family whose plate is full & hearts are overwhelmed.
I am so thankful for a mother who takes great joy in going out of her way to be a blessing. Instead of focusing on how much cleaning could be done instead, or how there are papers to grade, or books to read with one's feet up in a chair, she says "...it would be a pleasure..."
---
(Continuing our Mother's Day traditional gift of a "foot spa". :D)
Happy Mother's Day, Mom! So thankful for your love & example. We love you ~
