Monday, December 21, 2009

The Christmas Bags

Every Christmas, our family has that conversation about, "what should we do for others this year?" We've always been pretty good about not having the gimmes (well...hehe). In a recent conversation, Mom said, "I'll really glad that you kids don't make big lists and hope for everything on them" to which a family member answered, "Mom, we have learned to be realistic..." ;)


Last week, we got together with some very sweet friends, and assembled bags containing gifts for children whose's parent(s) are in jail. A group from our church goes to a local jail & leads Bible studies & stuff for the inmates, so we wanted to do something for the children of those people. In these bags we placed things like diapers & wipes, Bible story books, tracts, candy, small toys, games, coloring books & crayons, markers, Bible comic books...etc. (based on the family's needs). We made a total of 59, which were all numbered and divided between us all to deliver.
Friday night, Ricky, Livy & Rosy were all attending Christmas sleepovers/parties of some sorts, so Tommy and I had had our own sleepover. It was so fun to spend one-on-one time with my little brother. :) We read books, watched the Nutcracker, & made some very special homemade Christmas presents. I believe they will be favorites. ;D


On Saturday, we delivered 5 of the Christmas bags. As we set out on the 30 minute drive to the first house, I had no idea what to expect. We pulled up to a run-down apartment complex and knocked on the door of "A1". That first home was definitely the most run-down that we went to all day...the smell & clutter was everywhere. As I stood there in my clean jean skirt, cute pink top & cheetah-print shoes, I realized how blessed I am. I have a wonderful home, loving family, & awesome friends.

In the next house we went, a joyful loving grandmother was thrilled to receive a gift for her grand kids! There was hugs all around.... She was not happy with the choices her son had made which landed him in jail, but she was dealing with it by loving & supporting his kids.

Through the next 3 houses, we saw all kinds. Everyone was excited about getting the bags though. I think that it got me fully in the "grateful for what I have" Christmas spirit. It was neat. :)


(btw, the above picture was taken at the Christmas bag assembling night...I got to babysit!! :D)

From there, we went to a friends' house for a Christmas party. Of course, it was a blast. :) But, I couldn't help thinking that I was just living "my little Christian life." I could leave that part of town and return to my happy safe little life; but those people are stuck there. Kids are born into that atmosphere, and grow up watching the example of their parents.

When I get "big" (hehe...someday), I pray that God will give me an opportunity to do more than pray for people less fortunate than me. Maybe, someday I can do something to give them what I have ~

So, MERRY CHRISTMAS, everyone!! Not sure if I'll be posting again before then or not...we're gonna be somewhat busy. :) But, praying you all feel the blessings of God very strongly this Christmas!!

2 comments:

Linden Hill said...

Nicky, I completly agree with you. Right know I feel like all I can do is feel sorry for them. If I had the opportunity I would love to do something for people less fortunate than me. Maybe we should do something together.
Kay

Sandra said...

What a neat experience. God bless the Atlanta church for doing all they do for others!! Miss you all.