Monday, September 5, 2011

In Cincinnati ~--

Today is a beautiful day! It is raining for the first time in what seems like weeks...everything outside is lush & green & inspiring! This morning, I sat out on our front porch and read for a while. It felt like autumn. I love that I got goose bumps & came inside to get a longsleve shirt!


Today is a refreshing day. We do not have school 100% off, but instead Mom encouraged us to work on the subjects that we have the least amount of time for on a normal school day. So, for the first time in weeks, I am blogging! :)


Hard to believe that today is already Labor day. We are 3 weeks into school & summer lays far behind ~
This quote has been pressed on my heart this summer...

"Praying is not about getting God to give us what we want; it is about learning to want what God wants to give. And he is not out to make us rich or powerful or successful. God is certainly not out to help us get our own way in everything. He wants to make us more like Jesus. The prayer life of a mature disciple reflects a desire to receive from God those good gifts that will help him or her reflect Jesus' heart and actions more clearly, combined with the confidence that God will answer such prayers." (David A. DeSilva)

When I saw this advertisement on the side of an old theatre in Cincinnati, I had to think how much my prayer life has the motto, "enjoy everything." I pray for blessings, peace, joy, happiness, etc... Where is my joy in the process of surrender and becoming more like Jesus through my actions, words and affections?
---
Earlier in August, Dad had a work trip for a few days in Cincinnati. We usually cannot go with Dad on his work trips, but were able to go with him and enjoy the city while he worked...it was such a neat trip.
One evening we walked around downtown as a family & ate at this unique place called, "Skyline Chili."
Another afternoon, we went to the creation museum. Would highly recommend it! :) Enjoying the beautiful grounds/one another:
Someone told us about this delicious ice cream shop/bakery; Graeter's. After sampling some of their flavors, we decided to have ice cream for dinner! :)
It was neat to be in another city. We enjoyed how "old" the city felt.
---
Classical music is playing in the living room & my book is laying there waiting for me. That combined with the falling rain outside & a bag of peanut m&m's that some dear friends who stayed with us this past weekend gave us seem to be calling my name! :)
Take time to be refreshed by His Spirit today!
-nikki
p.s. I am reading a book entitled "When Helping Hurts; How to Elevate Poverty without Hurting the Poor or Yourself". It has been incredibly eye-opening and inspiring! It is written by two men named Steve Corbett & Brian Fikkert.

No comments: