Lately, I have been studying the life of David. Most of you have probably read his story and know that he killed the giant, was chosen as king, hated by Saul, and then ruled as king - although not perfect, that he was a good leader. The Bible states that he was "a man after God's own heart." Personally, that is one of my greatest desires - to be known as a person after God's own heart!! Anyway, I decided that as I read through his story, I would write down everything that would probably have given him this great title to help me see what I need to work on. I haven't read to the point where he becomes king yet, but there was already so much that I have learned that I just felt like sharing. So, here goes ~ :D

- Humility was a part of David's life that we sometimes over look. (At least I do!) I guess that I never thought about, until now, the sacrifice it would have been for me to see the rest of my family go to meet Samuel while I just stayed home and watched the sheep. Usually I want to be right in with the action, but David was willing to stay home. In fact he used this time to talk to God. He looked at it as a gift.
- Valiant was a word he was described by. The Bible tells us that he was good at everything he tried. He never backed out of things because they were "too hard" but did his best at everything he did. He was strong and unashamed. How many times this week have I said, "Oh that is just too hard...?" I forget so much that Christ will give us the power to do whatever He calls us to do and that nothing is "too hard" for us through Him.
- David was prudent in matters and could talk knowledgeably. Hmmm....maybe there is a reason I have to do school. :D Not only that, but I should be sure of what I believe and not afraid to speak up about it... We also read in Psalm 111 that the "Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom."
-David had a servant heart wherever he was. Unlike me, he willing left one thing that he was used to and loved (like caring for the sheep) to become Saul's Armor bearer. When his brothers left to fight, he stayed home to help his father with the sheep. Because of his willingness and God's timing, David was then always available for what God needed him for... 
- Believed the impossible! David knew that he could make a difference with the Lord's help and wasn't afraid of family or even the king's disapproval. He knew God was with him. When he stood up to Goliath, he didn't say, "Okay, God, please help me do this." No, he already knew the battle was the Lord's!!! I would have been begging God to let me out of it b/c I would have known that it would be impossible for me to kill this giant. But David knew God would come through (like He always does) and didn't waste anytime worrying about it...
- Because of his Godly leadership, David was loved. Although, he was also hated. Surprisingly, this made no difference to David. He kept his eyes on God, and didn't care if he was loved or hated, as long as he matched up with God's plan for him.
- No matter how much Saul hurt David by his anger and hurt, he let God do the judging. When the opportunity came, he didn't kill Saul, but left that in God's hands. So often, I try to take matters into my own hands. Usually it isn't killing a king (grin), but instead worrying that if I don't take care of a situation, it won't turn out all right. God holds all that in His hands... I just need to trust Him!
Through out his life, David forgave, forgot and moved on. Although some huge bumps were thrown into his life, he turned to God and repented. David is a great example to me of someone who went against the crowd, and trusted in God for help instead of brothers, friends, or kings. God provided his every need, and richly blessed him. (Please don't get me wrong, I do understand that David was far from perfect, and made some huge mistakes, but right now I'm just talking about what we can learn from him...)
Life is hard, but Jesus is always there....
Striving to be humble when I am "left behind", valiant when hard things are placed in front of me, prudent & wise so I have an answer when questions rise, Fearing the Lord with my whole heart, serving the Lord and willing for what he calls me to do, believing the impossible, keeping my eyes on God's approval, letting God do the judging, I am excited to see what else God has to teach me about the life of David!!
"I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies."
- Because of his Godly leadership, David was loved. Although, he was also hated. Surprisingly, this made no difference to David. He kept his eyes on God, and didn't care if he was loved or hated, as long as he matched up with God's plan for him.- No matter how much Saul hurt David by his anger and hurt, he let God do the judging. When the opportunity came, he didn't kill Saul, but left that in God's hands. So often, I try to take matters into my own hands. Usually it isn't killing a king (grin), but instead worrying that if I don't take care of a situation, it won't turn out all right. God holds all that in His hands... I just need to trust Him!
Through out his life, David forgave, forgot and moved on. Although some huge bumps were thrown into his life, he turned to God and repented. David is a great example to me of someone who went against the crowd, and trusted in God for help instead of brothers, friends, or kings. God provided his every need, and richly blessed him. (Please don't get me wrong, I do understand that David was far from perfect, and made some huge mistakes, but right now I'm just talking about what we can learn from him...) Life is hard, but Jesus is always there....

Striving to be humble when I am "left behind", valiant when hard things are placed in front of me, prudent & wise so I have an answer when questions rise, Fearing the Lord with my whole heart, serving the Lord and willing for what he calls me to do, believing the impossible, keeping my eyes on God's approval, letting God do the judging, I am excited to see what else God has to teach me about the life of David!!
Prayers, Nikki
P.S. I hope that this has encouraged you as much as it has me... Thanks for taking the time to read and learn along with me! Our God is amazing ~
"I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies." Psalm 18: 1-3

No comments:
Post a Comment