
It was a smaller group than usual, but we had fun anyway.
Before this weekend I had felt like I was getting nothing done. Just living from day to day. Doing what was on my "list" for that day and wasting the rest of the day on the computer or laying around. I knew there was so many more things that I could be getting done - scrap booking, sewing, cleaning, organizing the house... I knew that I really needed to get on myself more, but my own selfish desires kept pulling me back from doing anything about it. I was a little surprised when my dear friend, Lydia, starting talking about procrastinating at the lake. But ya know, God talks to us through people when we least expect it.
As we dipped our feet in the water, Lydia and I talked about how these years are so important and that we shouldn't be taking advantage of them. We shared how we are both a little scared about what our futures will hold. Only six years ago, we were playing dolls and didn't have a care in the world. It seems like yesterday. But six years from now, we are going to be making important choices that will greatly effect every part of our lives. It will be here before we know it! What should we be concentrating on until we reach that point of our lives?
Lydia then shared with me that she recently read a book. (For the life of me, I can't remember the name of that book!) She said that it was about a young women who was struggling with these same questions about the unknown. This girl went to a trusted aunt and asked her advice. This beloved aunt shared with her that our job at this age is to simply work on what is in front of us right now. For example, if your Mom asks you to make your bed - that is the next thing in front of you. As you work on the little things, and make the choices that are little yet still need made, trust God to work out the future. He is holding my future in His own hands. He has every little part of it figured out. He planned it for me!!! And what does He want me to do about it? Simply serve Him with the things He places in front of me. From making supper to baby-sitting, and from daily reading His Word to encouraging my sisters in the way of the Lord! These baby-steps are what He is using to train me. So, I should just enjoy the little things, and trust in the Lord...
Could I have asked for a better answer?? I thought not, yet God had more to teach me before the weekend was over.... We left the lake house Saturday night and headed a few hours north to visit some friends for the rest of the weekend. We were listening to the Pineapple stories on the way there and I was kinda zoned out. Suddenly, the topic really caught my attention. This missionary was taking about how we need to be thankful for everything that God gives us --there is never anything given us without a reason... He went on to say that the only thing we will ever truly own is what is on our plate in heaven. And what we store up there will be ours for eternity! Doing things for our self that bring God no glory are a total waste of time.
Hearing this reminded me of a verse I had read last week - that every idle word we say (or action we take) we are going to be held accountable for and have to tell God about it when we stand before Him someday. Yes, so that means that someday I'm gonna have to tell God that the reason I wasn't serving Him all the time was because I was too busy laying around and chatting on the Internet!?!?!! Wow, this certainly got my attention.
When we arrived at our friend's house, Saturday night, we were all tired but of course us girls stayed up late talking. Anissa and I actually had the same conversation that night that we heard our moms having the next day. :D It was a wired feeling. I think that we might be getting old or something. Haha, just kidding!
Sunday morning service was about giving ours lives to Christ, having a love for all men and dying to our pride. If Jesus died for us while we were still sinners, and it is our duty while following Christ to take up our cross after Him, shouldn't we be able to forget our pride and share Christ's love with those that we see who need it?? Some day every knee is going to bow. What am I going to do about preaching the gospel to every creature?
It was a very powerful weekend for me. Going into it, I wasn't very excited since I knew we were going to be doing a lot of running around. But I feel like a different person coming out of it! Please don't think that I'm trying to brag or anything, because I had nothing to do with any of this happening... I just wanted to share because, to me, this weekend was amazing. Our Saviour never fails to supply our needs, does He?
No comments:
Post a Comment