At age eight, I had an "expander" to expand my tiny jaw. I think I had that thing in my mouth for 9 months. At age nine, I got my first set of braces - only over the top 5 front teeth. If I remember right, I only had to wear those for 6 months. 

At age eleven, I got a hy-rax which is basically a device that resets your jaw by breaking it and stretching it. My front 2 teeth were so far apart at one point I could stick my fingers between them. I wore that one for probably 6 months also.
Between this stage, and the next, I had a total of 14 teeth pulled - four of those being permanent. My mouth has just always been tiny and I haven't had room for all that "stuff." :D 
At age twelve, I got a full set of braces... I thought I was going to have to wear those until I died.

A week before this past Tuesday, I went to the Dentist. Those of you who have never been the dentist with braces - it is painful. At least at mine. They use this baking soda stuff that stings soo bad. After getting done with my appointment, I was fighting the tears - it was bad. :) I was so up-set that I had to go through that again...I kept asking myself if I was ever going to get my braces off. Of course...I was. :)

So the next day, I had an appointment with my orthodontist. When Ricky had braces, our orthodontist keep telling him he was about to get his braces off. For me, they hadn't said anything.
When our orthodontist was looking at me, I could tell he was taking longer than usual, but never excepted to hear what he told me! I was shocked when he told me that I could get my braces off!!
So this Wednesday, I got my braces off. :)

After looking at those first pictures, I'm sure you look at my teeth differently. :) I never thought I would find myself saying this - but it was SOOO worth the wait! So, if you are in any of the above stages - I want to encourage you not to get to discouraged - although, I've been there, so I know :) - but to remember that the end will be worth it. :D
Today, I was with some of my friends, and one of them said..."You're probably going to start singing, 'My chains are gone', now." And so, of course, I have been singing that song. :D Everytime I have looked at my teeth since then, I've thought of that....which is a great reminder of Who has ransomed me!
God Bless, Nikki
6 comments:
You look BEAUTIFUL!
-Allison
i personally think that you look amazing with your braces off!!! of course you looked amazing before 2, but especially now!!! i love you!!!
-s. olivia
Congratulations!!!! You look great in the picture and I bet you look awesome in real life!
~ ? ~
Yeah to a beautiful brand new you!! You are so cute and your teeth look amazing and super white!!! (maybe it was all that baking soda stuff they used at the dentist?)
Congratulations! I know you must be so happy and feel like such a weight has been lifted! :)
Yeah, How exciting! I would be so sick of the dentist if I had to go through all of that. Can't wait to see you.
Kay
Post a Comment