Monday, September 21, 2009

Ripples

It's flooding here. Well, not really...here, here. But 20 miles north of our house, people's basements are flooding. It's been raining almost every day for the past week. Major roads, backyards, basements, pools...everything is flooded. The rain just keeps coming.


I'm one of those people that is affected by rainy days. I spend way to much time staring out the window instead of applying myself to get my school done. The rain always seems to take me to places far away...and so it takes me hours to get my school done.
Today was no different. :)

I am actually -somewhat - enjoying my highschool freshman year. I'm doing a worldview curriculum with some friends, and even though sometimes I think that all the reading is going to eat me alive, I am loving the new outlook it has given me. Algebra is algebra...and Science is math. I don't get it. They mix 'em all up and then don't get why we don't get it. :) History is American. I'm reading about the Enlightenment. Today, I was suppose to write a paper for History...so, I headed to the back porch. I love being out there. Especially when it's raining.

I started on my outline, but was soo distracted by the rain. It wasn't coming down real hard, just a slow and steady fall. The yard was one very shallow puddle. After sitting there for about 10 minutes, just watching the rain fall, I jumped off the porch and just stood in the rain. It felt soo good!


As I looked around the yard, all I saw was water ripples. I love watching little things, like finding a raindrop and watching it fall all the way to the ground and then watching to see how long the ripple sticks around...Well, you know, to an extent. :) Then being the smart science person that I am (ha!), I thought through the water cycle and all...and it reminded me of myself. How short a time I'm here and how my little ripple is only the size I allow God to make it. Every one is some kind of ripple, there are beautiful ones that fall onto the grass puddles, and the ugly ones that fall into the mud puddles...Either way, an effect is made.


Last weekend, Dad took Ricky and I to a Living Water's conference - Deeper. We usually don't go to a ton of conferences, because - goodness - life is busy enough. But, had heard some very wonderful things about this conference. Dad has been traveling so much, so it was nice to spend some time with him without working on a house project.


The overall topic was The Attributes of God. And I wasn't expecting it to be so powerful. Of course, I knew I couldn't image the majesticness of God, but I was surprised at how much I had missed without knowing it.

There was a total of 11 topics - The Atheist's Sixth Sense; Keeping the Foundations Sure; The Veracity of God; The Uniqueness of God; Evil, Suffering & the Goodness of God; The Trinity; The Holiness of God; The Forbearance of God; The Stunning Kindness of God; God of the Generations; and a Glimpse of Jesus.

I could talk about them all day....but I'll just touch on them lightly. In a future blog post. :)


It was an amazing weekend about how important the "ripple" affect is in a Christian's life. I can't wait to share more about the conference, the topics, the worship, and how I've seen God move through it...

It's suppose to continue raining all week, so I'm sure there will be many more ripples to learn from before the week is over. :)

5 comments:

Linden Hill said...

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. When it is a rainy day I love just looking out the window and letting my thoughts wonder.
I really like that analogy with the ripples. It is so true.
When did you get that extra feature on picnik? What do you think of it? Do you like it?
L. Kay

The Waldbeser Family said...

L -

A friend of mine and I bought the extra feature together this week. I love it!!! Although I spent much more time on Picnik...It is worth the money for me, cause I use it all the time.
Nikki

MissJo said...

I really love the way you said "Algebra is Algebra. Science is math." LOL - sooo true. ;o)

We definitely need to remember to bring those affected by the flooding, as well as our state and state government, before the Throne of God. Don't you think it's so ironic, though, that one year we're praying for rain and declaring it a national emergency and the very next year we're praying for the rain to go away and declaring *that* a national emergency? :oP God alone is wise. Like you, I like to watch the rain, too. But I *really* like to watch the lightning and hear the thunder. :o)

Love you, girl. May God bless you as you enjoy this season of life. And hopefully you'll be able to get some schoolwork done. ;o)

~Joanna

The Waldbeser Family said...

Joanna,

Thanks so much for your sweet comment. I'll try to work on getting some school done. *giggle*

Yes, haha! It is strange. We humans are so abt to complain. :)We say we're going to thank God for everything, and then turn around and ask Him to "please take the rain away." His grace is amazing!!

Hope to see you soon!! I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow night, but some of my family might. :D

Much love~!!

MissJo said...

Definitely a good thing for us that God is so patient, huh? :o)

Hopefully you will be able to come sometime, at least - 'cause I've definitely missed you!! (You need someone to tease you and pester you about getting your schoolwork done and other random things, anyway. ;o)

Btw, CONGRATS on getting your braces off! *big smile* :o)

Lots of love! <3