One thing that is very tempting for me is to appear perfect on my blog. How nice it would be if everyone would think I always was poised & productive...graceful & creative...godly & mature. But, of course, many times, I am the complete opposite of the words above. This post will prove that. :)
When I typed out that challenge last week, I was looking forward to sharing my "future home-maker skills." I planned to post this Friday about what I had accomplished this week. As you can see, that did not happen. The type of thing that I wanted to accomplish was far from what I actually learned. I definitely even had thoughts of going back & deleting that last post, because frankly I do not feel like I have the time. But I need to make the time. So, if you had similar thoughts, or just plain did not get anything done last week, "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it." (Anne Shirley :D) Let's celebrate being weak & human and having a Saviour who is infinite & strong!
Last fall, I cut out a summer dress. It was high-waisted (Jane Austin style) with puffy-type selves, a gathered neckband & full (twirly-type) skirt. When school fell into full swing, I put it off for "this summer." This Monday, I took it up again. I was going to make it my "accomplishment" for this week. I worked on it some everyday ~ I am certainly not an amazing seamstress. My dear Mother made her own wedding dress And I know several other young ladies who sew beautifully -- their clothes often look store-bought. (or better!) But, with Mom's help, I got it done. All I had left was the hem. As I zipped it up to check the length, it hit me: this dress did not fit me. Being completely lined in the bodice & with no shoulder seems I knew it would have to take it all apart to ever get it close to fitting me.
So, that is what I got accomplished this week. :) I am trying to make the best of it & looking for someone it does fit...{rejoice always, right!} :D
But, it has just been one of those weeks. :) I kept looking for other things that I could do as my accomplishment for week 1, but I knew that that would make it look like everything went perfect, and it did not. Here are a few other stories from this week which have taught me humility.
---
At our church, we have a morning service & then share a lunch before our afternoon service. We are a small church (there is about 65 of us, I think), so we all take turns bringing the lunch. On Mother's Day the kids & single men plan the lunch. This year, the single men were gone. Being one of the oldest (young) girls in our church, I was quickly assigned the job. :) Actually, most everything went fine...We had hot chicken salad (the best in the world) & Ricky grilled the chicken. It was soo good! 

If you are interested in the recipe ~
2 or 3 cooked white chicken breasts
1 (8 oz.) can of pineapple tidbits - drained & flaked
1 (4 oz) bag of finely shredded sharp chedder cheese
1/4 cup of finely chopped green pepper
2 T. finely chopped celery
1 T. finely chopped onion
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. salt
Just mix together & heat in either crock pot or oven.
Livy made a cheesecake & a batch of cookies. The only thing that flopped was my cake. :) First, the frosting would not thicken. I made it on Saturday & after exhausting all ideas as to how to thicken the frosting, Mom helped me make it look like it had more frosting than it actually did & I forced myself not to look at it again until I arrived at church. I was crushed when I realized at church most of the frosting had ran off of the cake & lay around the base. But that wasn't the worse. :) When it came time to cut it, it crumpled into tiny pieces.
Normally, there are no ladies allowed in the kitchen on Mother's Day, but I was about to loose it. Needless to say, my dear mother saved the day! :) She cut that cake & only a few pieces looked bad....there goes my pride, though. :)
---
This year, I am attempting a garden. ( i know - sewing, baking & gardening. I am afraid I am no homemaker yet. :D) In past years, my Mom has done most of the garden, but this year I told her I would take care of it.
Various things are planted & some of them are actually doing VERY well. :) Sadly, only one of my six cucumber plants lived through the first week. I am not sure if they did not get enough water or maybe they got too much sun... Regardless, I have been nursing that one little plant along. I have done everything short of singing to that dear little cucumber plant. :) Finally, it was pulling through! I was so excited!!
Then the other day I went out to pull some weeds. My mind was a million miles away and I began to get a little carried away. Suddenly, I looked down and realized I had just pulled my little cucumber plant! I was crushed. I felt horrible.
I quickly tried re-planting, ran up to Livy and exclaimed, "We need to pray for cucumbers!" If you would like to join us, please do so! :) My family & I laughed so hard over this one ~ oh dear. :)
---
On a different note ~ we had such a fun Mother's Day!
Ricky took Mom out on a date for lunch Saturday, us girls had a special something we did for Mom(keep reading -- ), so Tommy decided to do something as well. His idea was to give Mom a board with all our handprints on it that said, "I love you!" So, after church, he directed all of us to put on our paint clothes.... 

He then proceeded to write "I love you" on it. Since it was not just one person, though, he wanted to say "We love you." Somehow across the process, it ended up "We I (heart) u 2010." :)


---
---
Instead of giving Mom a gift as we have in past years, us girls decided to pamper our loving mother. She loves her feet massaged, so we set up a small retreat. 


Mom and Dad went for a walk, and while they were gone we picked some flowers & gathered our favorite lotions....Mom was so surprised. :)
When the guys found out what was going on, they wanted in on the action. :)
We stayed out on the front porch for hours...just talking & laughing & enjoying one another.
Then we ate dinner on the back porch ~ Mom relaxed on the front porch while we set up for dinner. It was our first "summerish" meal - hamburgers.
Tommy presented his gift. :)
Finally, last evening, we went on a walk & picked some more flowers.
This week I am REALLY going to try to finish my weekly challenge. But there are just some things that I can not control. :)
If you got a summer project accomplished this week (big or small!) please tell me about it. And start working on next week's!!
I would like to congratulate the following bloggers for getting an accomplishment done!
Pillar (got an A on her test!! great job!)
Livy (Made a yummy cheesecake ~ )
B. Renae (Re-orgainzed her room!)
Frisbee Girl (Spoke at a Mother/Daughter Brunch)
Allison (Made some yummy chocolate chip cookies!)
God bless,
a humbler Nikki :)
3 comments:
Hey Nikki,
Awesome job! I can't wait to post my first project! I found it funny seeing the picture of Rosy doing Drew's feet.... :)
Luv u!
~Kaitlyn
Good job! My mom loves foot masages. Nice pictures. You looked like you had tons of fun. Thank you! Well, this year for my birthday my mom made me a homemade choclate cheesecake. It was yummy! Have a nice day!
Zoe
Good Job Nikki!!! :)
I looks like your Mothers' Day was filled with many fun surprises!!! :)
Those Daisies are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!
Daisies are my favorite flowers!!!!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them!!!!! :D
I hope to see you sometime this week!!! :)
--Allison Grace
Post a Comment