Friday, January 2, 2009

Stopping to smell the roses

Happy New Years everyone! I can't believe that it is already 2009! Whenever I am suppose to write a date including the year, I always put the year before. I was finally getting the hang of writing "2008" when of course, the year moved on to a new year. So, I'm really going to work on writing "2009" this year. :0)
We had a great Christmas, but I have to admit that it was different than all the years before... Why? Well, it is a long story, but I think that it has taught me a lot so I'm going to share it.

For as long as I can remember the day after Thanksgiving we always get out all our Christmas decorations, including our Christmas tree, and spend the day decorating our house. From then until Christmas day, there was always something exciting in the air - Christmas cookies in the oven, icing all over our kitchen table, playing with our "unbreakable" manger scene, wrapping paper all over the house, and presents appearing under the tree.
Of course, this year had to be different b/c our house is in the middle of being totally re-done. No tree, no homemade cookies, no icing, no presents appearing. And I was fine with it because, hey, we went on a cruise in November as our Christmas present, which was better than any other present I wanted. It was defiantly the best family vacation I have ever been on! But, I did miss the Christmas atmosphere around the house. And I was dealing with a lot of emotional stuff (along with all the other teenage girls in the world). Then something hit me - Mary was probably dealing with TONS of emotional stuff. I mean she was a young girl, preparing for marriage, then an angel comes to her and tells her that she is going to have a baby! I used to always think, "WOW! If I would have been Mary, I would have just been excited that I was going to have the Son of God and that an angel had come to be!" But, as I thought about it, I realized that she was probably very confused - plus having all the emotions of getting ready to move out of her house to live with Joseph, after having to tell him that she was going to have a baby... I don't know, I guess that I just realized that I have no problems or should I say "drama" in my life next to what Mary went through. And yet the Lord supplied for her needs, and gave her strength... And He has promised that to be also. So, I think that God had a reason for us not to have decorations up this year - so that He could keep me concentrated on Him and His plan for me!!!

On Christmas day, we just enjoyed being together as a family, playing games, watching movies, laughing and crying together. No, we didn't have our annual Christmas meal with a ham, mashed potatoes, and tons of sides, but instead had pull pork sandwiches with potatoes. We even ate by candlelight b/c we don't have our electrial stuff working in the only room done enough to eat in. :-D But I have learned that "whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."
After we finished eating, half of our family wanted to go to a free "drive-through" Christmas light display. That half won out and Dad gave in. :o) But only after Mom reminded him that before they know it, us kids will be all grown and gone and they will have forgotten to take time to "stop and smell the roses" and just be content with the simple things in life.

Then we went to visit family who live a 12 hour drive away. I really didn't feel like leaving our house again, because of the huge number of trips we have gone on this past year (I guess that it is last year now!), but it went better than I thought it would. The only down side was we got sick. Tommy threw up twice on the way home, and I have a nasty cold along with Ricky, Livy and Dad. I am still not 100%, but everyone else is feeling great. So, I keep reminding myself that God sees everything and that He will grant me strength. But if I don't feel well enough to go outside, there must be something for me to do inside my own home, even when I am sick. I think that this would be the perfect time to "stop and smell the roses" - be content with what I have and look for what I can do where I am. And you know what? Dad found alot of paperwork stuff that needed done for our church. I have actually been enjoying it!


"Not that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Philippians 4:11

No comments: